Thursday, April 9, 2009

Naughty Old Virus

I can hardly believe it. But I guess I really I should. As much as I love my PC and I do just like it was a human or a pet or something, I only have a free virus protection program. For the past couple years it has worked just fine, scanning and updating and keeping everything in check. With all of the new buzz about the confiker virus or whatever it's called, it's been in the back of my mind to get a real virus protector. Well, I didn't and today my beloved PC got sick!!! My son constantly learns about new websites from his buddies in computer lab and I think my PC may have picked it up from one of those sites. It was a constant pop-up that said Windows Internet Security. The icon even appeared in my system's tray. I don't know how they do it but I doubt very seriously if they are even remotely affiliated with Windows. I was totally freaked because it popped-up every minute or so saying that my PC was infected and to buy their anti virus program to fix it. They must think I'm loopy.
I tried all that I knew which was very little and finally after way too much frustration, I called the resident family PC doctor, my daughter Janelle. She immediately knew what I was talking about because the same virus had appeared on my grand-daughter's PC a few months ago. Hmmm, I wonder if my grand-daughter and son have visited the same sites. Janelle walked me through the process of backdating my PC before the virus struck and directed me to buy a new a anti virus program which I will do tomorrow (I think). I am so thankful to her. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to write this post without throwing my beloved PC out of the window.

No comments: